I am the Director of Inspired Psychology and also a clinical psychologist registered with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Authority (AHPRA). I hold a membership with the Australian Psychological Society (APS), am a Fellow of the APS Clinical College and an associate member of the EMDR International Association (EMDRIA).
I have extensive experience in providing clinical support to children, young people, families and adults and have worked in both the public and private sectors in a variety of roles. I have been working in private practice since 2007 and opened Inspired Psychology in 2013.
I am warm and empathic and strongly value the role of the therapeutic relationship in promoting growth. I believe change is always possible and see my role as being to support people to reach their potential. I believe in the role of the systems (e.g. families and communities) around the individual in promoting health and well-being and enjoy working collaboratively with others.
My interventions are evidence based and informed by a variety of theoretical approaches including sensorimotor, EMDR, cognitive behavioural, developmental, positive psychology, attachment, neuropsychological, narrative, systemic, schema, and mindfulness based approaches.
I value a tailored approach to therapy which brings together a range of psychological techniques to respond to the needs of the individual or family.
I have a special interest in developmental trauma and providing therapeutic intervention and support to children and young people in care, along with their care teams.
Others area of clinical interest and experience include:
- Trauma and post-traumatic stress across the life span (including complex trauma)
- Mood disorders (including anxiety and depression) across the life span
- Obsessive compulsive and other compulsive disorders (e.g hoarding).
- Grief and loss
- Life transitions and adjustment
- longstanding patterns of difficulty including personality based concerns.
- Stress management in adolescents and adults
- Child and adolescent psychology including behavioural issues, and emotional and psychological distress in children and young people
- Parenting concerns
- Self-harm in adolescence
- Self-esteem and body image
Training and consultation
I have a strong background in working with children and adolescents with complex needs including those who have experienced abuse, neglect and instability. In addition to providing support to individual young people and their caregivers, this work has included working with care teams supporting young people.
As such, I am able to provide consultative support, supervision, and training to carers, parents, teachers, youth workers, social workers and other professionals working with, or caring for, young people. Training sessions are interactive, pragmatic and engaging and all services are tailored to the client’s needs.
Areas of expertise:
- Young people with complex needs
- Child and adolescent development
- Brain based caregiving
- Attachment across the lifespan
- Caring for young people with backgrounds of trauma
- Child and adolescent trauma
- Body image
- Self-harm and suicide
- Emotional regulation
I am a board registered clinical supervisor and able to provide supervision to both provisional and registered psychologists.